2017 EMERGING ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGEMAKERS GATHERING
September 29-30, 2017 at Tanglewood 4-H Camp and Learning Center, Linconville, Main
In an annual intergenerational gathering, twenty established leaders in the environment and conservation fields in Maine joined thrty emerging change-makers between the ages of 15-30. This event helped participants grow their networks, gain inspiration for their own efforts in environmental/conservation work and also participate in skill building trainings and facilitated dialogue on how we can build a more inclusive environmental sector in our state. The annual event is a collaborative effort among the Maine Environmental Education Association, Cultivating Community, Maine Audubon, and the 4-H Camp and Learning Center at Tanglewood.
The participants came from a variety of backgrounds in environmental education, sustainability, conservation, environmental justice, and/or local, sustainable food systems. A majority of participants represented underserved audiences and communities in Maine and look forward to contributing to the work of broadening and diversifying Maine’s environmental sector.
- Connect passionate individuals across diverse age, backgrounds, and perspectives in Maine’s environmental and conservation sectors
- Provide inspiration through the sharing of personal learnings and stories
- Assist participants in defining their “sense of purpose” as the foundation of leadership
- Provide training on transformational leadership and equitable hiring practices
- Facilitate innovative conversations exploring how we can better support and amplify the voice of emerging environmental changemakers in Maine.